I graduated from Cambridge in 1997 and I’ve been writing professionally since 1999.
I’m based in North London, but travel to wherever my clients are based to understand their businesses and requirements.
I genuinely enjoy getting under the skin of what my clients and editors need, their specific tone of voice and overall proposition.
I’m married with two children and am currently completing my fourth novel (might this one find the right publisher?).
I’m always happy to have a general chat about what you might be looking for. Drop me a line at email@example.com if you’d like to arrange.
Helen Monks Takhar summary work history
2016 – present: Freelance copywriter/editor/journalist
- Financial writer and regular contributor to The Spectator
- Lifestyle writer, working with clients including prime London estate agent Dexters
- Food writer, working with national retailers including McColl’s Retail Group
- Freelance magazine editor working with print design agencies and clients direct
- SEO copywriter helping small businesses increase traffic and boost conversions
2009 – 2016: NEST (National Employment Savings Trust)
2012 – 2016: Investment Proposition Manager
- Responsible for developing NEST’s award-winning investment proposition messages, drafting and editing persuasive multi-channel content including web, social and video
- Led on a content update of NEST’s investment web content, in line with SEO and web writing best practice, working closely with Digital Team
- Ghost wrote press articles and paid-for content, drafted and edited web copy and reports
- Working with multiple internal and external stakeholders to deliver aligned messages and evaluate the effectiveness of communication campaigns
- Led on the internal communications function for the Investment Team
2011 – 2012: Media Manager
Ghost wrote articles for trade and national press and was responsible for proactive and reactive trade and national media handling
2009 – 2011: Writer/Editor
Wrote and edited press articles, web copy, marketing literature and video scripts
2003 – 2009: Freelance journalist/editor/communications consultant
2003 – 2009: Editor, Wordwide Communications (now The Ink Yard), London
Edited a range of bank and building society customer magazines and luxury B2B publications.
2007: Communications Consultant, Help the Aged, London (now Age UK)
Researched and wrote the launch report for a national campaign
2006 – 2007: Media Officer, Shelter
During my period of predominant self-employment, I also worked in Shelter’s busy press office. I wrote releases and articles, devised media plans for national and regional campaigns. I was also responsible for proactive and reactive media handling and briefing spokespeople for national and regional TV and radio interviews.
2003: Money Writer, The Sunday Times
Wrote personal finance features for the Money section
2001 – 2002: Personal finance writer, Associated New Media
1999 – 2001: Deputy News Editor/Pensions Reporter, Money Marketing
Sourced and wrote news stories and features on the pensions industry, plus edited copy
1994 – 1997: Churchill College, Cambridge University
BA (Hons) Archaeology and Anthropology, 2:1